Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sweet and Sour Meat Balls

I had to tweak the sauce recipe for 2 reasons. I had to triple the original and I was very anxious to use the rice vinegar I recently purchased. I've found that vinegar is very flexible and it's an accustomed taste. So if you don't like rice or cider vinegars feel free to use plain old white stuff.

This recipe fed 10 with minimal leftovers.

Preheat oven to 375

Meat balls

4lbs ground beef
2 eggs
3/4 cup GF bread crumbs
1tbsp garlic powder/onion salt

Mixed em, rolled them and fried them up on a large griddle. Once brown I put them into a roast pan to await the sauce.

Sweet and Sour Sauce

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup rice vinegar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups ketchup
4 heaping tbsp of cornstarch

Heat all but the cornstarch, once it's warm take about 1 cup of the sauce and blend it in a blender with the cornstarch. Get all of the lumps out.

Once the remaining sauce is close to boiling remove from heat and add the cornstarch mixture.

**Depending how hot the sauce is, this can thicken too much, too fast which is why I always remove the sauce from the heat before introducing the cornstarch mixture. **

Pour sauce over meatballs and heat in the roast pan at 375 for about 30 minutes.

I made these on the weekend. I served them with Rice (made with chicken broth instead of plain water) and salad that our company brought. Was a tasty dinner and I think the kids would have eaten more had they not polished off an entire plate of veggies just before supper. :)

No comments: