Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

Feb 28, 2009

I got this recipe from The gluten free kitchen by Roben Ryberg

This pie was really good. Really good actually. The filling gets a grade 1 for difficulty. The crust on the other hand I give a grade 3. It was easy to put together but once I tried rolling it out it kept breaking and crumbling. I don't think I will use this crust again for this type of pie, it's just not flexible and was almost impossible to put the crust on top, which Roben warns about in the book. So I gave up and gave the pie a cheese lid instead. My variations are in orange.

I doubled the recipe to feed 6 and we had no leftovers.

The Crust

1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 cup of potato
3/4 cup of cornstarch
1tsp sugar (i used honey)
1.5 tsp baking powder
3tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup plus 1tsp milk (the extra teaspoon of milk is intended to give the dough a more flexible consistency, which it didn't quite do for me)

Mix all ingredients well. Get out all lumps, if dough will not stick together add extra tsp of milk.
Place dough in between 2 sheets of floured wax paper and roll out. This is suitable for small pies and mini pies but I really struggled with the larger pie shell. Place dough in pie plate.

Chicken Pie filling

2-3 lbs of chicken ( I used a while chicken)
1 medium onion
1 bay leaf
Large potato ( I used 3 frozen GF potato patties)
1.5 c frozen mixed veggies
1/4 cup pf water
3 tbsp cornstarch
salt and pepper to taste
1tsp Oregano
1tsp Parsley
1tsp garlic and onion powders
1/2 cup low fat cheese

Boil chicken with onion and bay leaf in about 10 cups of water. Cover and cook until tender, about 2 hours. The recipe in the book says to separate some of the broth left over. I chose not to do this because the remainder makes good stew to freeze. Remove bay leaf and chicken bones. To broth add potato patties and veggies and seasonings, boil for another hour with lid off stirring often. In a separate container blend cornstarch and about 1 cup of broth. I use a blender to get the lumps out. Add cornstarch and broth mix to the filling and cook until desired consistency is reached.

Add filling to prepared pie crust, top with cheese and bake at 375 for 20 -25 minutes.

I would have taken a picture, but it wasn't a pretty meal :)

No comments: